Fuelishness! -- The FuelClinic.com Blog

“Keep Your Receipt” Reminder Magnet

November 10, 2008 · · Filed Under Do-It-Yourself, Eco-Driving, FuelClinic, Fuelishness!

One of the comments that I hear from time to time by FuelClinic.com users is “I have a problem remembering to get my receipt!” We’re working on ways you can record your transactions remotely, right from the pump; using your mobile phone and a to-be-release mobile version of FuelClinic, send a “tweet” to us via Twitter, or just a text message.

But for those users not so interested in mobile technology, we’ve developed a decidedly low-tech (albeit good-lookin’) way to help remind you to grab your receipt before you leave the pump.

img_8673.JPG

About a month ago I had a local sign-shop create a short-run of these magnets for family and friends, with the intention that they will help people to remember and get their receipt before leaving the pump.

It’s been suggested that I make these available to all users, to sell them on the website so everyone can display them on their gas tank hatch and use them to help remember the receipt. So I checked in to getting a commercial run of these created, and figured the price per magnet would be about $5/ea. after manufacturing, packaging, and mailing them.

If you’d like to have a magnet like this for your vehicle(s), and think $5 is something you could part with to get one, let me know by leaving a comment on this thread.

I’m just judging interest at this point – there is no obligation (they don’t even exist yet).

Comments

7 Responses to ““Keep Your Receipt” Reminder Magnet”

1. Mark Cohen on November 10th, 2008 12:55 PM

Hi,

You might want to look at doing it through cafepress.com. Makes it totally painless for you; it’s free, they handle payments and shipping; you just get checks. Not as much as DIY, but no retail heartburn either.

BTW, I’d prefer a smaller magnet.

Mark

2. Chris on November 10th, 2008 1:19 PM

Great idea! The magnet is right there reminding me when I close my gas cap, the only thing that would be better is someone physically handing it to me from the pump! You can sign me up if you decide to do a run. Thanks!

3. john on November 11th, 2008 6:36 AM

I would gladly invest in a magnet for my whole family. $5.00 is a steal!!!!

4. heather on December 10th, 2008 9:55 AM

Hey, I dont know if I would put the magnet on my car but i would if the magnet was smaller

5. heather on December 10th, 2008 9:57 AM

Can’t you make it a vinyl sticker instead of a magnet? I think it would make it just as visible and people wouldn’t steal it off your vehicle either. The vinyl stickers are removable and wouldn’t harm the vehicle.

6. Doc Miles on December 11th, 2008 10:30 AM

Vinyl stickers would also be much cheaper to make… I’ve not considered them before – since they are kind of “permanent”… but you are right, they can be removed with a little effort. They have more of a “paint fading” problem – the magnets can be moved every few weeks to prevent an un-faded spot from forming where the magnet blocks the sun… And I think that a site like Cafepress can make weather-proof stickers (but not magnets) – and would make ordering them very easy for anyone. Let me look into this — thanks for the great feedback and ideas.

7. Doc Miles on December 11th, 2008 12:09 PM

I’ve created a simple CafePress store with one item – a prototype reminder sticker “kit”… I just ordered one to see if the quality is ok and that the words don’t get their edges trimmed off or something like that… I’ll update you after I get the first proof.

There are 4 smaller stickers in each “kit” – with the “Receipt Reminder” being roughly 3″ by 1″ in size. There are 3 receipt-reminders (probably enough for a sticker on each car in your household) – plus one larger sticker (3″ x 2″) that says “Fuel Miser On Board” – just something I thought up. Maybe we can have a contest for the best phrase.